This new environment we find ourselves in has officially made my modern home office, my only office. With the majority of the world experiencing the exact same thing, the space you’re spending 90% of your time now has to be comfortable and functional. Whether you have an available room for an office, or not, dedicating a workspace in your home can be designed to increase productivity and comfort.
Here are 5 ideas to get you started with your modern home office
- Invest in a good office chair. Investing in an ergonomic office chair is essential. You may be spending anywhere from 30 to 50 hours a week sitting in it, so your back will thank you. Purchasing one with multiple adjustments is ideal so it fits you just right.
- Switch up your lighting. Fluorescent lighting has been proven to be hard on the eyes. Make the switch to LED or halogen light bulbs in your home office. Try to let in as much natural light as possible. Also, consider finding a desk lamp to reduce headaches and eye strain.
- Keep essentials within reach and organized. Nothing says productivity like a clean, neat workspace. Select a desk with a lot of storage. You can also install creative shelving to keep items like pens, pencils, extra batteries, calculators, notepads, and more stored within arm’s reach.
- Decorate bright. Pick a color you love and use it to spice up the room. Use cheery yellow or red or relaxing tones like green and blue, instead of beiges and browns.
- Aim for the view. If possible, place your desk so you are facing a window instead of a blank wall. Natural light can do wonders for staying alert. You can also give yourself a short mental break when necessary by looking to the outdoors.
Transforming a modern home office into a functional space could get tricky. But as long as you have the essentials first, you can expand it more and make it your own space.